Thursday, July 14, 2011

Down this aisle!

I don't know how many of you parents out there are dealing with an overly honest child... I guess this is the stage when a child observes everything and decides she wants to tell you about it. There is absolutely zero filter with this kid, and I have found myself to be embarrassed, mortified and just in shock. I am pretty sure that this is a daily occurrence for us now. A day or two ago she and I were in Target, minding our business, doing a little shopping; we see a man in a motorized scooter in front of us. I guess I didn't clearly hear what Parker said to me but I just heard "walk". I automatically assume that she doesn't want to walk. Perfectly normal for her. Not even close. She repeats and tells me "that man needs to get up and walk!" "what's he doing in that chair?" I was hoping and praying that he hadn't heard us; but he did.He stopped the cart, turned and stared at us. I froze. What the hell was I supposed to do or so? I did what any grown up would do. I grabbed Parker by the arm and darted down another aisle; sprinting walking briskly. As we are briskly walking down the aisle, we see an employee putting things on the shelves, he has corn rows in his hair, no big deal, right? Wrong! "What's wrong with his hair?" "I hate it!" By this time, I'm completely speechless. Who's kid is this? While walking very quickly to get out of Target, I tried to talk to Parker about not always saying what you think or what you see about someone else. I tried to let her know that it hurt people's feelings.I was pretty sure I got through to her and we were going to make an improvement.

Move a few days ahead. Scene: Moe's Southwest Grill, eating our nice dinner, enjoying a 4 year old conversation. It's kids eat free night, so there are quite a bit of people strolling in. Parker notices a couple of girls waiting in line with their family, one of the girls is about 14 years old and is suffering from some severe acne. When I say severe,I mean  it was really bad. Anyone could see it. Leave it to Parker to notice it, observe it, digest it, and then come down with a case of verbal diarrhea. "Mom! Look at the girl's face!" She curls up her mouth and noise, puckers her lips, fans her face as if she has eaten something disgusting and says, "EWW". I guess our "talk" didn't have much of an effect. When does empathy set in???

No comments: